Saturday, February 16, 2013

Soup Day

When it is snowy outside a warm, simple soup is a great dinner.
I had ham and a huge head of cabbage in my fridge that needed to be used up so I googled soups and found this recipe. It was good.


White Bean-Cabbage Soup

1 yellow onion, finely chopped
a couple of leeks, sliced finely (I used celery instead because that is just what I had)
2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
a couple pounds of ham, cut into bite sized cubes
8 cups chicken broth
2-3 (15oz) cans of cannellini beans (I used 2 cans of white beans because again that is just what I had)
1 medium head of cabbage, chopped into bite sized pieces
rice wine vinegar (I added a little red wine vinegar and brown rice vinegar)
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

In a large stockpot, warm 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, leeks, and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, about 20 min. Add ham and beans, let that cook for about 10 minutes. Turn the heat to medium low and add stock. Let everything slowly simmer for at least 45 minutes. Add cabbage, a good splash of rice wine vinegar, and a pinch of red pepper flakes and let cook for another five minutes or so. Serve in warm bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment