Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It started with a simple bread recipe.


Today was baking day. I have been wanting to make bread and finally made the time this morning. I used a simple white bread recipe:


Home-Style Yeast Bread.
3 packages active yeast
2 cups warm water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
7-3/4 to 8-1/4 cups bread flour (I used regular white flour)

1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, butter, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.

3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place in three greased 9-in x 5-in x 3-in loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yields 3 loaves.


This recipe makes 3 loaves! What would we do with that much bread! I could freeze most of it, but because Eddie is not very fond of sandwiches for his lunches I decided to try something different. I made two loaves and then use the leftover dough to make a pizza for lunch and also a few stuffed rolls. I made few pizza pockets and also used up some leftover BBQ meatloaf and made stuffed meatloaf rolls. They turned out great and will make easy lunches for Eddie. I feel like I have had a very profitable morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment